8 Ways to Workout with Kids at Home
Tips to Workout with Kids at Home
We all know how important it is to exercise and I also know how hard it is to get a workout in with someone always demanding your attention. So how can we get a good workout when the kids are at home too? Here’s a few of my favorite tips for making the most of your workout with kids at home for the summer.
- If you have a friend that is close by that will watch the kids, swap with them. You can watch their kids while they workout and you both get some distraction free time!
- Make your workout space kid friendly. Have things available that the kids can enjoy on their own while you workout, such as books, puzzles, games, crayons, etc.
- Allow the kids to have their computer or tv time during your workout. On the weekends, this is mostly what I do, especially during the summer when we are outside the rest of the day. We are rarely in the house before dark when the weather is great.
- Have special toys only for workout time. Letting the kids play with a special toy during workout time only will make it something exciting that they can look forward to. Break out the Hot Wheels track or the Play Doh (if they can play with it unsupervised).
- Utilize nap time. If your kids still take naps, use that time for your workout.
- Encourage older kids to workout with you. My oldest (he’s 7) loves to do the Insanity warm up! He almost always does it with me and it gets him about 10 minutes of good exercise too.
- Take it outside. You can use a stroller and go for a walk or a run. Take a bike ride with the kids. Have a race or play tag. There are lots of ways you can do activities together and still get a good workout.
- Do a HIIT workout. HIIT, or high intensity interval training workouts are typically short. If you’ve only got 15 minutes, use it. You can still get a good workout in that time if you push yourself.